What is a specialist in endocrinology, what does he do, how to become? Endocrinologist Salaries in 2022
An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in detecting and treating hormonal disorders that affect the endocrine system. Common disorders treated by an endocrinologist are: thyroid abnormalities, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol disorders and cancers of the endocrine glands.
What does an endocrinologist do? What are their duties and responsibilities?
- Examine the medical history of the patient before the treatment and diagnosis process,
- Tests to determine the possibility of problems with the endocrine gland,
- Investigate and examine symptoms of hormonal imbalance,
- Request laboratory tests in order to make a definitive diagnosis,
- Determine the treatment program and explain it to the patient,
- prescribe medication,
- To perform surgery if necessary,
- Counsel patients on diet and nutrition, hygiene and other preventive treatments.
- Record patient medical information,
- Respect for the privacy of patients,
- Continue professional development.
What education is required to become a specialist in endocrinology?
To become an endocrinologist, it is necessary to fulfill the following criteria;
- To obtain a bachelor’s degree from the six-year medical faculties of universities,
- Specialize in Internal Medicine for four years by successfully passing the Medical Specialization Examination (TUS),
- Do a minor specialization for three years by passing the minor specialization exam (YDUS).
Characteristics an endocrinologist should have
- Have the physical and mental stamina to work long hours,
- Be able to stay calm and make effective decisions in high stress situations,
- Demonstrate excellent analytical skills,
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills to clearly express medical conditions,
- Approach patients with an empathetic attitude,
- Have self-discipline.
Endocrinologist Salaries in 2022
As they progress in their careers, the positions they occupy and the average salaries of those in the position of endocrinology specialist are the lowest 41.990 TL, the average 52.480 TL, the highest 69.240 TL .